Your gun is valuable – a testament of strength and bravery, an item almost certainly required to protect yourself and your family. However it definitely requires proper treatment – what will happen to the weapon and ammunition if it is exposed to the harmful influence of humidity over an extended period of time? It is a rather widespread problem, one that you would want to avoid in order to protect your possessions. So how do you do this? This is where the gun safe dehumidifier comes into play.
What is a gun safe dehumidifier?
This is a device that removes moisture from the air – sometimes by means of heat, in some cases by silica gel that absorbs water like sponge. It is very handy for households located in areas with high humidity levels or in those cases when your home suffered from stuff.
Now the problem with gun safes is that you don’t open them really often which results in an issue with the quality of air. If the room is properly ventilated, mildew may not have enough time to develop, but in a closed ecosystem it may have every necessary condition. The consequences may vary: from a stinky odor to rust and other damage being inflicted on the armament.
Thus it is important to ensure that it doesn’t happen by removing the moisture from the air on a regular basis. The dehumidifier for gun safe truly shines here. So, the answer to the question ‘Do I need a dehumidifier in my gun safe?’ is definitely yes. Otherwise you will find your most valued belongings exposed to rust and corrosion.
Popular types of gun safe dehumidifiers
There is a range of solutions that you can use, each boasting its own set of advantages. In this article we take a closer look at option that are at your disposal:
- Silica Gel. This is not actually a device, but it’s still effective and thus cannot be left out. These are the little balls that absorb humidity – you usually get a set of those when you buy a new safe. They are used to keep the safe in proper condition while it’s waiting for its customer;
- Wired gun safe dehumidifiers. These devices can be rather expensive, but their efficiency is undisputable. Please keep in mind that they need to be connected to a power source in order to function. There are safes with outlets inside which allow painless installation; in case your safe is not meant to have appliances inside, you may have to drill some holes.
- Battery operated dehumidifier for gun safe. These can be used in any safe as they don’t need to be connected to an electric circuit constantly which makes them a great all-around solution. The downside however is that you need to change the batteries from time to time – don’t miss the timing if you don’t want to spoil the papers and guns inside the safe.
Pros and cons
The advantage of having a gun safe dehumidifier is that your belongings are reliably protected from the negative effect that the moisture may inflict. Despite you won’t notice changes daily, the effect grows and stacks over time and may even result in a weapon malfunction which is absolutely not what you want as a responsible gun owner.
The downsides may vary depending on the type of the device:
- The electric gun safe dehumidifier may slightly increase your electricity bill;
- The wireless devices will require a charge and battery change on a regular basis;
- In some models the silicon ‘sponge’ requires special treatment and needs to be checked often which makes the whole maintenance a bit troublesome.
We consider that advantages outweigh the disadvantages by far, and the dehumidifiers provide solid value for the price.
How to choose a dehumidifier for gun safe – ultimate guide
Here are some things you may want to consider:
- Coverage – does the dehumidifier you’ve picked cover the volume of your safe efficiently? This is crucial since you don’t want mildew appearing in the corners or at the top/bottom of the shelf;
- Size – if you are limited in space (which is the case in most safes), pick a compact model that actually fits in;
- Weight – don’t overburden the safe with heavy stuff;
- Warranty – while the manufacturer may declare a certain term of service, a proper warranty ensures that the reality corresponds to the expectations.
Now let’s take a look at the best gun safe dehumidifiers in the industry.
GoldenRod Original Dehumidifier for Gun Safe
This is hands down one of the best picks when it comes down to reliable long term solutions. The unit comes in various sizes from 12 to 36 inches and can cover areas from 100 to 500 cubic feet which makes it pretty much versatile. Its vertical form factor is really comfortable to work with, it fits almost everywhere. The device is wired and needs a socket to function. Installation may require a bit of work, but nothing too complicated for a gun owner.
The advantages of this item include the following:
- It doesn’t get overheated and inflict burn on skin on touch;
- Can reduce humidity levels approximately to 50% which is what museums usually aim for.
As for the disadvantages, the legs of this dehumidifier are not very sturdy, but it is by far the only matter of concern. In our opinion, this is a great solution for the price.
Stack-On SPAD-1500 Cordless Gun Safe Dehumidifier (Rechargeable)
This is arguably the best rechargeable dehumidifier for gun safe in the market. It boasts some features that make it really easy to use. First of all – it runs for 4 to 6 weeks on one single charge which is rally convenient. When it runs out of energy, it can be easily recharged overnight – 8 to 10 hours is enough to bring it back to full capacity. There is an indicator window that allows you to see the state of absorbent pellets – when they turn pink, it’s about time to change them for new ones. Please keep in mind that it will remove moisture from as much as a 100 cubic meters, which means you might need several items for a larger safe.
The advantages of this item include the following:
- This is a cordless dehumidifier for gun safe. No wires! You won’t have to drill a hole in your safe or necessarily look for a model that has a socket;
- No batteries – the unit works with a built-in power source;
- An easy to read, user friendly moisture indicator on the front side.
There are some disadvantages you should be aware of as well:
- You’ll need to recharge this model from time to time;
- After the recharge is complete, the casing will be rather hot and you won’t be able to touch it for a while.
Stack-On is one of the best supplier for wireless dehumidifiers in the market, and its products boast solid performance and long term of service. If you need a reliable device that runs properly over an extended period of time, go for it!
Lockdown Gun Safe Dehumidifier Rod
The best thing about this dehumidifier is that you don’t need to check its state on a regular basis which is the case with silica gel for instance. However it requires to be plugged into the electric network to operate. It comes with quite a long wire (about 70 inches) which you can cut to an optimal length if needed. The device comes in two sizes – 12“ and 18“ and reduces humidity to an acceptable level.
- Produces enough heat to keep the air dry in the gun safe;
- It is located near the floor and won’t get in your way;
- Quality on par with the most famous names in the industry at a lower price;
- Can be easily installed in just 10 minutes.
- It gets really hot and may inflict burns on touch;
- The plug is rather flimsy and could be sturdier.
This rod has everything you would expect from a high end dehumidifier – slim exterior, proper performance and fail-free user experience. We would recommend this device to every gun safe owner.
Gun Safe Lockdown Silica Gel Dehumidifier
This is a lightweight aluminum can filled with gel sorbent. It will work efficiently for an area of 57 cubic feet which is a great pick for small areas given the compact sizing of this item. It is enough for most 24 gun safes and even for some models that can accommodate 48 pieces of weaponry.
The sorbent will accumulate liquid over time and change color – you can easily see these changes through a window. However it is not spoiled irreversibly after the gel reaches its maximum capacity. Dry it in the oven for a bit, and it will be good as new! The average term of service is about 6 to 12 month (depends heavily on the conditions it is used in).
The price for this item is pretty low, so you can easily grab a couple units to provide decent coverage. Keep your firearms in good shape hassle free!
- Is non-toxic despite using silica gel thanks to the casing;
- No batteries and no cords needed to get the setup running.
- 1 year warranty, the manufacturer states that it will serve you for a lifetime.
- Doesn’t cover a significant area, so you might need two of them in some cases;
- The silica gel should be placed in an oven for about 4 hours for reactivation. An electric one is preferable to lengthen the term of service.
Easy to use solution that doesn’t require electricity – a versatile pick for gun owners in every area. Don’t hesitate to purchase it for your safe!
Dry-Packs Silica Gel
If you are looking for an affordable way to reduce humidity levels in a gun safe without an electric socket (or if you don’t want to depend on electricity supply for any other reason), the Dry-Packs Silica Gel is your sure bet to get the job done. This lightweight aluminum fits perfectly inside any confined space and houses a pack of silica gel. The substance is produced without carcinogenic elements and is 100% safe for household residents.
There is a simple way to tell how much humidity the device has absorbed over time. There is a window that shows the gel – take a look at its color, it tells everything you need to know. Once it’s changed from orange to dark green, it’s about time to take action. No rocket science – stash the gel in the oven and let the humidity evaporate. It will be goon as new!
Let’s take a look at the advantages of this particular item:
- Covers an area of 50 cubic feet;
- Weighs just 6 lbs;
- Runs without electricity.
As for the disadvantages, it covers a relatively small area, so you might need several to cover a larger safe.
This item is a great backup scenario for power outage and provides great value for the affordable pricing. Pick it to keep your guns reliably protected from rust!
Maintenance and usage tips
In order for the dehumidifier to be used efficiently, it needs to be installed and maintained properly.
Some of the devices just need to be placed inside the safe while the others require doing some drilling and handwork to get in the place. For instance, the silica gel dehumidifiers need just to be stashed inside and they’ll start working immediately, no additional actions required.
The rods are usually the most troublesome in terms of installation, especially if there is no electric outlet inside, but the slick exterior and comfortable use make up for the trouble. On the contrary to widespread belief, this item doesn’t require much of maintenance. All you need to do should check the electric appliances once in a while – they can usually work for month without need for adjustment or repairs, but it’s still a good idea to take a look once in a while.
As for the silica gel dehumidifers, you will generally want to check the color of the sorbent material. When you see that the gel has changed color, you’ll need to evaporate the liquid – all you need to do is to put it in the oven for some time. The process is absolutely harmless for the material and can be performed multiple times. Just don’t leave the sorbent exposed to the heat for too long.
Here are some questions about gun safe dehumidifiers that people are usually interested in and the answers to them.
How humid should the air be? What is the optimal level?
The normal humidity level is in-between 45 and 50 percent, and this is what best desiccant for gun safe will provide. Anything above that will create a good environment for spores and bacteria.
Can air be too dry?
Yes, absolutely. If you manage to reduce humidity to a mere 30%, it may make wood or leather fragile. However, it really takes skill and dedication – if you get a proper device, it should keep the air condition the way you need it.
What is a lifespan of a dehumidifier?
On average, according to gun safe dehumidifier reviews it’s about one year of active service. After this you’d generally want to get a new one, however some manufacturers may claim their items can function over a longer term.
Having a good dehumidifier actually matters a lot for the content of the safe. If you leave the guns exposed to high humidity for an extended period of time, metal will corrode, reducing the effectiveness of the firearms and making its usage less secure. If you store any important papers in the safe, high humidity will result in odor, and the paper may spoil. Investing in your security will pay off – don’t hesitate to get the best gun safe dehumidifier for your scenario.