Best air purifiers reviews
- Carbon monoxide is a harmful gas, released as a result of burning fossil fuels. It prevents the lungs to get oxygen and causes headaches, dizziness and tiredness;
- Ozone as a pollutant shouldn’t be confound with the atmosphere protective layer. The harmful gas is a result of interaction between nitrogen oxides and volatile organic compounds. Such ozone causes asthma attacks and other breathing difficulties;
- Nitrogen dioxide is emitted while burning fossil fuels. People who are exposed to nitrogen influence can suffer from bronchitis and pulmonary edema;
- Lead is an extremely hazardous metal which can be comprised in paints, plumbing fixtures or other metal constructions. It has a strong impact on people’s mental abilities and kidneys;
- Particulate matter can be represented as airborne dust, smoke, asbestos, pollen and other particles which are small enough to be breathed in;
- Sulfur dioxide as an odourless gas comes from plants producing chemicals, paper or fuel. It causes emphysema and asthma and irritates mucosa membranes.
It is a true-HEPA model that eliminates 99,97% of all airborne pollutants, including mold and smoke. The device is equipped with a three-stage filtration system which consists of carbon filter, fine preliminary collector and HEPA filter. The unit covers rooms of up to 320 sq. ft. and its CADR rating is 135+. The cleaner is equipped with LED display and automatic sensors, which switch on and adjust the power settings according to the air quality in your room. There is also a sleep mode with a built-in timer, providing a completely noiseless operation. This Levoit LV-PUR131 model is 100% ozone-free that is why it can be used by asthma sufferers.
The Levoit LV-PUR131 air purifier is a floor model. It is 18,5 inch high and has a weigh of 11 pounds. The device consumes 40W per hour and can be considered energy efficient if taking into account its operation power. The average retail suggested cost for this unit is about $150.
The Air Genius5 features one of the most advanced technologies today. QuietClean captures 99,9% of airborne impurities, offering 5 air purification levels and touch sensitive controls. One can choose: SLEEP (completely silent operation), General Cleaning, GERM (for flue seasons), ALLERGEN (for spring and summer), MAX power. This Honeywell device is Energy Star rated and consumes electricity like an average light bulb. The model is equipped with a permanent Honeywell IFD filter and 2 optional preliminary filters: an odour reducing collector and washable foam collector. The AirGenius 5 is AHAM certified and its CADR values are 160-170 for dust, smoke and pollen. Furthermore, the appliance is also ARB (Air Resources Board) certified and meets all the standards of the federal limits concerning ozone emissions.
The BreatheSmart model is ideal for open concept apartments and large spaces up to 1100 sq. ft. It is equipped with a unique HEPA-silver collector eliminating all the pollutants quickly and effectively. It circulates the air two times per hour and keeps it free from allergens, mold and germs. There are 15 designer panel options for these air purifiers which can complement any décor possible. SmartSensor system automatically detects and adjusts the power settings according to air quality, thereby prolonging filter lifespan and saving energy. With this device you shouldn’t choose between high operation mode and low noise. WhisperMax technology provides a pink noise, masking the disturbing sounds when you are sleeping. The unit consumes 104W on the highest setting and is Energy Star certified.
The Alen T500 is highly ergonomic and functional air purifier. It was designed for travelling and can be carried from one place to another, covering spaces up to 500 sq. ft. The model is customizable, as it offers 4 different HEPA–type filter formats: HEPA Pure, HEPA-Fresh, HEPA-Silver and HEPA-OdourCell. The filter should be replaced once per year or when the indicator lights up. The unit has a small footprint due to its tower-shape and will operate greatly in every corner. Moreover, if you are looking for an energy efficient device, T500 would be a perfect pick as it consumes just 53W on highest setting. Alen provides a lifetime warranty for this model, but remember it is valid in the USA and Mexico only.
The BlueAir Pure 211+ captures 99% of airborne impurities. Its activated carbon collector eliminates unpleasant odors and even VOCs. It provides high cleaning performance in large rooms up to 500 sq. ft., but its power carries one of the largest lifetime cost. The device has 350 CADR and these are the highest numbers for the tested models. The BlueAir has a single button which lets you turn it on or off and adjust the fan speeds. The system is equipped with activated carbon collector and a washable preliminary filter to remove the largest particles from the environment. Despite of powerful performance this air cleaner operates almost silently, making just a quiet hum, which is unnoticeable by most customers.
The Pure Cool air purifier from Dyson has dual function. It can purify and operate like a fan in hot weather. The 360° HEPA filter eliminates all known airborne impurities and the second carbon layer captures all household smells, harmful toxins and gases. Intelligent purification system monitors and adjusts and effectively purifies the environment. Then the air quality report appears in your Dyson link application, so you can control your indoor air remotely. The night mode also monitors and reacts with changing settings and making LED display dim for your calm repose. Another outstanding feature is Voice Control. You can command your Dyson Pure Cool with the help of Amazon Echo.
The Air cleaner has a slim tower design of 40.1 inches and looks like an extremely attractive high-tech device.
This Dyson model is distinguished by triple functionality. It can purify all year round, serve like a fan in summer and heat in winter. It is equipped with HEPA filter, which has a 4300 hours lifespan and a carbon layer, capturing gas and smells. The device is awarded Asthma and Allergy Friendly certificate as well as QuietMark accreditation. The model monitors your environment and reacts accordingly. You can control your air purifier from your smartphone by using Dyson Link application. There are no fast spinning blades which can harm children’s fingers or your pet’s paws. Like Dyson Pure Cool, this model also boasts automatic night setting and voice control. The air cleaner is 25 inches height and has a 360° air intake. The reviewers report it is an extraordinary model with a perfect operation features and original design.
HEPA – High Efficiency Particulate Air Filtration
- Removes nearly all known contamination: mold spores, fungi, pollen, pet dander etc.
- Highly efficient, preventing many respiratory problems.
- Requires regular replacement to maintain high performance.
- Removes smoke, chemical fumes, pet smells, cooking odors etc;
- Cheap to replace and makes the space fresh;
- Does not catch particles.
- Removes germs, viruses and bacteria;
- Lasts for thousands hours and usually doesn’t require replacement;
- Does not eliminate particles.
Ionic filtration technology
- Removes almost all contaminants: allergens, fungi, VOCs, bacteria and viruses;
- Offers free maintenance;
- Collection plates should be regularly washed up;
- Does not remove smells;
- Can emit ozone, which can cause asthma symptoms.
Electronic air cleaners
- Pollen/plant spores
- Hair and pet dander
- Household odors
- Aerosol sprays’ toxins
- VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds).
What type to choose?
What features do you need?
- Preliminary filter – catches the largest fractions to prolong the other filters’ lifespan. Such collectors are usually washable;
- Air quality sensors– monitor the environment, detect the impurities and adjust the device to the required level;
- Filter life monitor– alerts you when the filter is dirty and it’s time to replace or wash it (if possible);
- Adjustable fan power – usually consists of 2-5 levels. There is a silent sleep mode, a turbo setting for quick cleaning and some modes in between;
- Ionizer – attracts particles due to static electricity field. Make sure it doesn’t emit ozone, which is a strong lung irritant;
- Programmable timer– switches off the device in definite time periods. This feature saves energy and your money;
- Mobile application– allows you control the air purifier from your smartphone;
- Energy consumption– is definitely important for those who wish to save money. Energy Star rated models are the most power efficient;
- Warranty – guarantees the reliability of your unit. Most air purifiers’ manufacturer offer 5-year warranty.
1. Choose a right location
2. Direct the air flow
3. Let it operate 24/7
4. Replace your collectors in time
5. Keep your doors and windows closed
- You get a healthy environment for your family members;
- If someone suffers from asthma or allergy, he will experience quick relief and prolonged remission;
- You home environment will become free from odors and toxins;
- You will notice that your home surfaces don’t accumulate dust any more. Dust mites will lose their natural habitat and will leave your dwelling forever.