Best Air Purifiers for Mold Spores & Mildew – Reviews & Buying Guide 2019
Everybody knows that mold at home is real trouble. These fungi microorganisms are able to cause a big discomfort spoiling things and materials. Besides they have a bad influence on people’s health.
Even if there are no visible black marks the mold and mildew spores might present in the air. They are very strong and harmful allergens which lead to unpleasant outcomes. However, there is no reason to get into a panic. Nowadays it’s much easier to manage this problem. The air purifier for mold knows how to guard the premises against mold spores.
The Best Air Purifiers for Mold
It’s true that the air purifier is a useful home device. All of them are constructed to clean the air. Below we prepared the review of the best air purifiers for mold. They are equipped with some specific features which are intended to kill the mold spores, mildew, and musty odor.
Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA-Silver Filter
Alen BreatheSmart eliminates mold and mildew spores from the air with unique HEPA-Silver filter. Its cleaning system totally refreshes the indoor atmosphere every half an hour. The technology is based on the NASA airflow idea which offers reliable and super quiet work. It also helps to keep the home environment free from dust, allergens, bacteria, and viruses. Active carbon filter reduces unpleasant odors, chemical smell, and cigarette smoke. The option of the ozone-free ionizer safely finalizes the air sanitizing. This anti-mold machine is effective for mid and large rooms up to 1100 square feet.
The producer is sure in this model 100% and gives a lifetime warranty. Smart Laser detector defines the smallest harmful particles (up to 0.3 microns). Then light indicator shows the actual air quality in the room. The automatic regime sets the optimal pace for the effectual breathing. Timer, LED display, filter monitor brings pleasure and convenience in operation. The elegant design does not disturb any interior.
- Suitable for large rooms, studio apartments, workshops, basements, garages
- The exterior design is available in wide variety of colors
- Economic in energy consumption & Energy Star certified
- Practically silent operation thanks to WhisperMax technology
- Simple maintenance
- Comparatively higher price
- The plastic shell needs careful handling
- The absence of remote control
- More frequent replacement of filters
Alen BreatheSmart FLEX Air Purifier
Alen FLEX matches the main features of mold air purifier. It’s outfitted by HEPA Silver filter. It has a special coating to stop Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and lessen the development of microbes, bacteria, and viruses. In total four levels of defense allow breathing without allergens including mildew spores and dust. Air cleaning starts with pre-filter. It strains the bigger parts. Then Silver and Pure HEPA do their job. The active carbon layer deals with unwished odors. Every thirty minutes this powerful gadget replaces the air in the room up to 700 square feet. Modest but elegant white construction fits diverse design decisions.
The unit is rather portable because of its low weight and fixed handle. The other colorful panels are offered as well. WhisperMax know-how grants rather quiet working with all 4 paces. In average the filters keep the potency within 6-9 months before replacement. The indicator signals about this need. Alen FLEX is supplied with the lifetime warranty.
- Fits for the variety of spaces: family and kids’ rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, offices, basements
- Compatible 4 HEPA filters customized for specific demand request
- Possibility to select the desired color of the front panel
- Intelligent customer support and lifetime warranty
- Certified as low energy consuming goods
- Safe for kids because of special lock of control panel and fan
- The absence of smart modes like air quality testing and remote control
- There are no castors but only the handle to move from one place to the other
SilverOnyx Air Purifier
SilverOnyx is germ and mold destroying air purifier. This lightweight, neatly designed and easy-to-use equipment is a reliable assistant to get fresh air at 500 sq. ft. rooms. Five steps purification engages preliminary, active carbon, True HEPA H13 filters, and options of the ionizer and UV light. It’s an absolute guarantee that the indoor environment will be 99.97% free from harmful allergens, mold spores, bacillus, and microbes. The device traps all bigger than 0.3 microns particles of dust, pet dander, mites, and diverse pollutants. The nasty smell won’t disturb after the air passes through SilverOnyx.
A powerful fan has 5 pace alternative. Particulate matter (PM 2.5) smart sensor automatically regulates the required speed according to the current status of air. Sleep mode provides noiseless process. The timer helps to set up the term of operation. The indicator reminds you about filters replacement. In average it occurs every 6-8 months.
- Excellent air cleaning performance due to improved HEPA filter which has a bigger surface
- Stylish design available in white, black and silver colors
- The advanced durable motor ensures quiet work
- Budget-friendly due to low energy consumption
- Customer support could be better and warranty longer
- Airflow is not strong enough
AeraMax 300 4-Stage Air Purifier
AreaMax 300 succeeds to remove black mold and mildew spores in the air thanks to its 4 stages of the cleaning system. Activated carbon starts to catch bigger particles and reduce the unwanted smell. True HEPA filter focuses on diverse allergens, mold, germs and dust mites. The smallest particles the device can capture is 0.3 microns. Advanced AreaSafe anti-microbial know-how protects the HEPA from contamination. It helps to save the efficiency of this important filter (part). Plasma True technology finishes the process by ionizing. As a result, the indoor environment is 99.95% cleaner and healthier.
AreaSmart sensors assess the pollution level of the home atmosphere. Then the most efficient speed out of 4 options is applied automatically. The machine easily improves the air in the places sized 300 – 600 square feet.
- No extra features but knows its job as HEPA air purifier for mold
- Perfect for mid and large places
- Quiet enough when works
- Utilizes less energy Star Certification is a proof
- Easy to use and maintain
- Some users complain the noise performing with high speed
- The indicator light is too bright
- The necessity to change the carbon filter in 3 months
Hathaspace Smart 5-in-1 Air Purifier
Hathaspace Smart is one more air purifier that kills mold and mildew spores. Five in one air purifying technology protects the lungs from damaging with pollutants and allergens. The cleaning process starts with Nano Cold Catalyst Filter. It separates bigger fragments of dust. This advance preliminary filter is able to ruin dangerous chemicals. Benzene, ammonia, and formaldehyde do not threaten you anymore. Meshed Activated Carbon absorber takes out household and smoking smell. It manages volatile organic compounds (VOC's) as well. Nano-materials of Antibacterial Filter trash fungi, viruses, and bacteria.
True HEPA Filter wipes out up to 99.97% of the smallest contaminants including unwanted mold spores in the air. Additionally, ionizer discharges bad particles. This function is on request.
Hathaspace is really smart by its features. The unit monitors the current air quality and automatically turns on the most effective speed. Sleep mode with whisper-quiet and lightless operation gives comfort during bedtime.
This air purifier cycles the air twice per hour. It’s perfect for different indoor spaces and areas about 350 square feet.
- Price friendly
- Modern design does not puff out in home interior
- Innovative air cleaning technology works perfectly for molds and other pollutants
- Universal for different spaces due to quiet operation
- A reasonable set of auto functions
- Remote control brings extra comfort
- Not expensive maintenance and filter replacement
- Possible mistrust to a new player on the market and short warranty term
- Lack of Energy Starring approval
- Less powerful compared to other similar air cleaners
LEVOIT LV-H133 Air Purifier
Levoit LV-H133 is engineered to clean the air from the mold. The manufacturer does not involve ozone. However, three levels of purification guarantee safe breathing without allergens, dust and bad smell. Designed as white cylinder it captures the air all around and quickly removes larger and smaller contaminants. True HEPA filter is able to catch 99.97% of dangerous particles from the indoor atmosphere. Their minimum size is 0.3 microns. Preliminary filter disarms bigger fragments. Active carbon adsorbs odors and smoke. Average filters’ high efficiency last for 6-8 months.
The device uses less energy but cleans the space up to 538 square feet or 50 square meters. Accordingly, it’s perfect for mid and large areas.
Low level of noise and light dimming makes sense to use it in the bedrooms and nurseries. Advanced functions contain a timer, sleep mode, and speed range. The item indicates the time to renew the filters.
- A reliable set of filters to remove mold from air and quickly improve the environment inside
- Saves some money consuming less energy
- Operates with low noise and dim indicators’ light for bedtime
- Automatically tests the air quality
- Price friendly
- Easy to move, set up and manage
- Lack of remote operation and mobile apps
- Only two years warranty
Germ Guardian AC9200W Air Purifier
Germ Guardian AC9200WCA will not disappoint those who suffer from mold spores, germs, viruses, mildew, allergens, volatile organic compounds, and other harmful air pollutants. True HEPA, charcoal filters and UV light get rid almost 99.97% of wounding fragments sized to 0.3 microns. Managing with Titanium Dioxide UV technology is absolutely safe. The device is perfect to improve the atmosphere in the areas up to 335 sq. feet. It’s easy to set up, operate and maintain the machine. Advisable term of filter replacement is 6-8 months. The bulb of UV stays effective for about one year.
The rounded, white-colored plastic design does not irritate. The practical handle assists to move the unit to find the right place.
Select the optimal pace among 3 options to obtain the best air purifying process. The timer enables to pause after 6 hours working. It protects the fan. Stars certified low energy consumption is a great advantage.
- Affordable price for rich features
- The attractive design is universal for different interiors
- Ionizer option totally sanitizes the indoor environment
- Portable due to the lightweight and handle
- Original filters’ replacement could be costly
- No rubber on bottom to protect the wooden floor
- Lack of smart features like determine air status
InvisiClean Aura II 4-in-1 Air Purifier
InvisiClean Aura II represents the air purifiers that gift you safe unmolded breathing. It has enough power to recover the environments in various places close to 319 square feet. From front to top the air passes over four layers of filtration. The first step is pre-filter which is combined with activated charcoal. Its function is to capture large particles and absorb the smoking, cooking, pets smell. It also protects the other parts clogging with hair, dust, pet dander. Then True HEPA filter begins to remove up to 99.97% of finest airborne fragments limited by 0.3microns.
Thus it takes away mold and mildew spores, dust mites, pollen, and other allergens. Ionizer by means of negative ions accumulates the smallest particles into bigger more solid bunches. Accordingly, it makes easier to collect and separate strain them out. Furthermore UV-C light kills the mold residuals, injurious microbes, and viruses in the cycling air. The user can regulate the working hours by the timer setting up 2, 4, 8 hours regime. Depending on the situation you can select the most suitable among three fan’s speeds plus a turbo. The sleeping mode is a guarantee of quite performing.
- You will never forget to replace the filters on time with special indicator
- The warranty for three years confirms the durability of the machine
- Perfect mold cleaning in mid areas
- The manual adjustment only because of no smart auto-functions
- The child lock is absent, so watch the kids when the unit is activated
Sharp FPA80UW Dual Action Air Purifier
Sharp FPA80UW HEPA air purifier perfectly manages with mold and mildew removal. Effective three steps filtration system is enriched by unique Plasma cluster Ion Technology. Charged ions destroy the dangerous elements and organisms not only in the air but existing home fabrics. Micro-mesh pre-filter, activated carbon and True HEPA filters sanitize and secure the atmosphere inside. It means that all possible airborne pollutants and allergens in particular dust mites, mold specks, and others sized 0.3 microns and higher are 99.97% dropped out home environment. The equipment is capable to refresh the space up to 454 square feet.
This smart device determines the pollutants level displaying the correspondent light. Then it automatically turns on the proper speed among three ones. The user can select the best optimal operation regime manually to breathe healthy while working, studying, playing, exercising or sleeping.
Turning on the Quick Clean mode enhances the power and shorten the purifying time. For comfortable sleeping just reduce the light brightness and set on the lowest speed.
- Universal for different indoor areas bedrooms, living spaces
- The low and safe level of ozone is officially confirmed by FDA
- The lowest speed is noiseless and ideal for sleeping
- Not costly maintenance as True HEPA Filter saves its performance within 2 years
- Energy star approval supports low cost continuous running
- Nothing special in design compared to more stylish models
- Few complains about customer’s support
- The highest speed is too loud, so Auto Operation is not the best at night
RabbitAir MinusA2 SPA-780A Black Air Purifier
RabbitAir MinusA2 SPA-780A is featured by Germ Defense filter. So, it is an excellent solution to remove mold spores from the air. This model is also effective in removing viruses and airborne bacteria. BioGS HEPA Filter catches 99.97% of bad particles, even with the size 0.3 microns. In total, the air passes over 6 filters. This system includes preliminary, medium, True HEPA, special aimed and active carbon filters. Finally, you can turn on the negative ion generator. The customer can improve the home environment with the other specific filters like Pet Allergy, Toxin Absorber, and Odor Remover.
There is a sensor indicating the necessity to change the filters. Depending on the operation time they can perform up to 2 years. The device is ideal for premises up to 815 sq. ft. It circulates the air twice per hour. The design is elegant but great. The user can select the panel decoration among the pictures of famous artists. It’s important that you can place the cleaner on the flat surface or mount it on the wall. Soft and quiet operation makes this air purifier suitable for all rooms. Smart features allow regulating the optimal mode. The light color shows the level of contamination in the air.
The manufacturer grants 5 years guarantee and perfect technical support.
- Saves the place with the possibility to mount it on the wall
- Longer-term filters validity
- Low energy consumption
- The option to customize the front panel design
- The advanced multi-stage filtration system
- The absence of a timer function causes some inconvenience to set up automatic switch on and off
- Costly item due to its advanced features
Buying Guide to Your Mold Air Purifier
To avoid harmful mold spores issues the air purifier is the primary assistant. From one side it’s very simple to make the decision to purchase an air purifier to get rid mold spores for healthy reason. However, so many doubts and questions appear when it comes to the best device that kills mold. How to select the right model for the purpose?
Below there are major attributes or “must be” features for the mold air purifier to perform excellent work.
1. The purifying system has to be capable to release the air from mold spores
It’s essential the device should have several stages of cleaning. The cooperation of various technologies guarantees perfect results in mildew removal.
The chief in this process is the True HEPA filter. This technology is certified to capture up to 99.99% fine particles with their minimum size of 0.3 microns. Thus it’s exactly fitting system to catch the mold spores as they are usually sized 1-40 microns. More budget-friendly but less reliable are ordinary or like HEPA filters.
The filters with Activated Carbon are irreplaceable in musty odor absorption. They perfectly manage with toxic microbial and volatile organic compounds which fungi secrete.
A useful supplement is an Antimicrobial filter. It not only finishes off the mold residues but also prevents the growth of harmful bacteria on HEPA filters. It helps to save the efficiency of air purifier.
The Ultraviolet (UV) light is one more important fighter with mold spores. Its target is to break the DNA of fungi. As usual, UV is designed with safety for people.
This feature is an excellent supporter for HEPA filter to win the battle with mold spores in the air.
2. Appropriate power
It’s one of the key criteria when buying air cleaner for mold. The device should be strong enough to protect the required area and volume. Check the offered footage it can perform thoroughly. Accordingly, the purifier which is able to cover 400 square feet is suitable to eliminate mildew spores in the rooms below this figure. Placing the too powerful machine in smaller apartments will not bring faster and better results.
3. CADR &ACH
Clean air delivery rate (CADR) informs how fast the mold air purifier will do its job in a specific area. The higher this index is the faster mold and other unwanted things it removes.
Air changes per hour (ACH) indicate the frequency of the air rotation per hour. If the fan passes (circulates) the air over the filers more often the indoor atmosphere will be cleaner.
4. Price and maintenance cost
Of course the cost of air purifier that removes mold matters. But there are hidden expenses for the support that should be taken into account too.
So it’s worth to know the term of warrantee and quality conditions of technical support offered by the manufacturer. The other issue is the filters’ replacement charges. It’s better to know in advance the availability of spare parts and how costly they are.
Keeping in mind the above information it is easier to avoid any disappointment after purchase.
How Do Mold Air Purifiers Work?
Mold air purifiers have multi-stages filtration cleaning system. Each part of the machine has a special responsibility. After the activation, the air comes inside the tool. The strong fan rotates the air over several filters. Step by step the mold spores and other unwanted fragments disappear. As a result, clean and safe air goes out of the device.
The first barrier is a preliminary filter. It stops the bigger contaminants. The real mold killer is HEPA filter. It is capable to catch 99.97% of small fungi particles sized 0.03 microns. The life forms of mold are larger. It means that HEPA technology manages them easily. Meantime filter with activated carbon absorbs mold odor and other smells.
After the filters, UV light kills the rest of mildew spores, bacteria, viruses, and other dangerous organisms in the home environment. Ionizer deals with grouping together fine residuals. So they become larger and heavier, then the filters can capture them all. Therefore features of Ionizer and UV light are the other great assistants to beat allergens.
Definitely, modern mold air purifiers are a foolproof defender of the home environment from the mold.
How to Understand If You Need Air Purifier For Mold?
Understanding the danger of mold it is very important to exclude its growing at the earliest stages. Unfortunately, the mold spores may appear without any visible signs. So it’s worth to check the home environment and ensure if there is a mold problem. There are several ways to do it.
The most reliable is to call on special services. They take all the necessary samples and analyze them at the lab. In case the mold is detected, the professionals specify the type and advise options to remove it. Note that is a rather expensive practice and it’s the only disadvantage.
The other possibility is to obtain special test kits and make the procedure according to the instructions. It’s easy to find them in the stores or buy over the internet. You can test the air, the surfaces, and materials all over the house. Of course, you will get only rough general answers. If the results confirm the mold existence in the samples you can always do a more detailed examination in the lab.
Be patient while testing the air for mold. The concentration of these spores varies all the time. It means that the current mold negative test could be different in some minutes. Therefore it’s desirable to control the air quality several times and in different locations.
The most efficient aid to remove fungi spores from the air is a mold air purifier with 99.97% guaranty to inhale healthy air.
Common Areas for Mold Growth At Home
The microscopic fungal seeds can overcome long distances and penetrate into different places. So, we can find their traces anywhere. They can attack practically all materials (papers, tiles, wooden surfaces, drywall, bricks, concrete, and textile) which are defenseless to various types of molds.
Mildew and mold can be anywhere. However, the most usual places for mold development are the bathrooms, kitchens, basements, garages, attics. It’s necessary to be especially careful with:
- The gaskets of washing machines
- Window sills
- Under the wallpapers
- Refrigerators’ rubber seals and drip pans
- Below sinks
- Showers and their accessories
- Ceilings and corners
- Ducting and pipes locations
- Water heaters and boilers
- Any surfaces meet with water leakage
- Under the mats and carpets
- Chimneys and fireplaces
- Air Conditioners
- Behind the furniture
- Wet clothes
- Flowerpots and home plants
The list can be endless. As a general rule, the most comfortable conditions for the mold are high humidity, excess heat, poor air circulation and lack of ventilation in the rooms. Therefore proper climate at home and regular examination of the mold risky spots allow avoiding this pest in time.
Mold Impacts Your Health
There are about 300,000 types of fungi or fungus. The mold is a kind of fungi. More than 100 kinds can be found in our houses. Very often we can meet the following fungi types:
- White mold. It settles on flower pots, wood, grains and some foods
- Green mold prefers food products
- Blue mold appears on wooden surfaces. It may affect furniture, parquet or window frames
- The yellow mold produces aflatoxin. It affects food products, such as meat, fish, milk, rice, and peanuts
- Black mold is the most uncharitable and widely spread type of fungus. It can injure practically all possible material from paper to concrete
These organisms are reproduced by spores, so they are invisible for a long time. Then high humidity and heat motivate their growth. Like radiation or heavy metals, the mold unnoticeably attacks living bodies. The mold can be especially harmful to:
- Allergies, asthma, chronic lungs disease suffers
- Babies and kids
- Aged people
- Persons who have weak immune systems
- For the pets, especially for birds, mold spores are highly dangerous. They affect the respiratory and digestive systems
The mold can cause diathesis and allergies which can develop into asthma and even cancer. The following diseases are associated with mold: migraine, runny nose, otitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, rhinitis, asthma, cardiovascular disorders, mycotoxicosis. Sometimes it damages the internal organs.
The other unpleasant symptoms are dizziness, headache, coughing, sneezing, eye and skin irritation, sore throat and even breathing shortness or confused memory.
This list of symptoms and diseases is a reason to prevent, reduce or fight the mold by all possible means. An air purifier is effective assistant to breathe without mold spores.
How to Keep Mold Under Control
Mold begins to grow when it has suitable conditions. The ideal circumstances are damn, warmth and darkness and low air rotation. Accordingly, it’s necessary to focus on some crucial aspects to avoid mold in premises.
- Control humidity and temperature
- Watch common areas for mold growth at home
If you noticed any signs of mold at home it’s vital to start acting ASAP. Otherwise, it can spoil not only the building with household articles but injure the health of family members. The mold secretes dangerous fungi spores which enter into the air we breathe. The fastest mold removal is executive force. For sure, it’s long, costly and unpleasant process.
There are many options to take out the mold from different surfaces. The most reliable is to get a consult and practical assistance from the professionals. However, in case of not possible to do it, here are some well-tried methods.
Please note, before you begin to remove the mold defend the eyes, hands, respiratory system by glasses, gloves and mask. It prevents mold contacts with the body.
Here are some standard actions to eliminate mold:
- Find out affected places
- Clean up or move them away
- Treat the mold spot items with special chemicals
- Exclude the reason root of mold
- Permanent control the risky places
The way to overcome the mold depends on the place, kind of surface or material it hits. Water, cleaning agents, bleach can help to get rid of the mold from surfaces and things. However, only mold air purifier is able to eliminate mold spores from the air 99%.
Mold Prevention – Tips & Tricks
There are common tips to prevent a mold problem below.
- Limit the humidity level up to 60%. The higher level is comfortable for fungi spores growing
- Regularly examine the pipes, taps, for leakages. The mold can’t grow without water
- Keep the gutters in proper condition to avoid unwanted water drips down the walls
- The mold survives at too low and high temperatures. Support the indoor temperature at 78-80 degrees F. Regulate your heating devices accordingly
- Aerate the home constantly. Open the windows several times per day. Air purifier, conditioner circulates the air indoors as well
- Ventilate and dry the walls and surfaces in the bathroom after shower. The bathroom is the favorite location for the fungi
- There should be a distance between the furniture and walls. It helps air circulation
- Control the condensate on the windows, corners, ceilings, etc.
- Avoid the clutters in attics and basements. Do not store beddings, books, and furniture in a damp basement
- Use mold-resistant materials while repairing existing or building new houses. It’s crucial for the kitchens, bathrooms, laundries and basements, attics
- Check the home plants. Overwatering the soil in the pots is a perfect source of mold
- Regular cleaning will be the best assistant in detecting and preventing mold at home
These are the most common anti-mold tips. Each house and placements are specific ones because the mold risk also depends on the local climate.
The main rule to prevent the growing of mold is to keep surfaces dry and clean, and perform regular air circulation, ventilation and purification.
We believe that the information above is useful and practical. The proper mold air purifier plus the mold avoidance tips guarantee success. We wish a new machine becomes your helpful and reliable partner to have healthy and free of mildew and mold spores home.